SACRAMENTO CRIMINAL LAWYER
Juvenile Crimes in Northern California
When a minor gets in trouble with the law in the state of California, they go through a different system then adults. Legal proceedings occur in juvenile delinquency court, which has its own terminology and procedures that differ from adult court. If your child has been charged for a crime, make sure to speak to a Sacramento criminal lawyer immediately.
What Happens When a Minor is Arrested?
There are several things that may occur when an underaged individual gets in trouble with the police. Upon arrest, any of the following may happen:
- Make a record of the arrest and release the individual
- Send the individual to an agency that will care for or counsel the underaged person
- Demand the individual come back to the police station, called being “cited back”
- Give the individual a “Notice to Appear.” This article contains details of the arrest and when to appear in court.
- Place the individual in juvenile hall, called “detention.” The individual will be allowed to place two phone calls. One call must be to a parent, guardian, relative, or boss. The other call must be to a lawyer.