SACRAMENTO DUI LAWYER
Driving under the influence is a serious crime with some harsh penalties. Contact a Sacramento DUI lawyer at the Law Offices of Alin Cintean for free consultation.
Over 200,000 drivers are arrested each year for driving under the influence in California alone and the administrative penalties vary. Before you can be sentenced of drunk driving though, the prosecution must establish three things.
- The first is that the officer who arrested you must have had probable cause to stop you, like speeding or running a red light for example.
- Second, you must have violated California’s DUI laws by driving with an illegal blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or refused to perform a chemical test.
- Lastly, the arrest must have been lawful. If all three of these are not met, the charges against you should be dismissed.
The best thing you can do if you are arrested for a DUI is hiring a Sacramento DUI lawyer who could help you in knowing what to expect and guide you through the process. A first offense can result in a variety of consequences:
- Your license will be suspended for at least one year, you’ll be fined fees between $1,500 and $2,000 and required to spend two days in jail.
- You’ll also be required to attend an alcohol-awareness course that may take several months to complete.
- Furthermore, you’ll be sentenced to between three to five years of probation.
- There are even further complications after your license is reinstated.
- The cost of your car insurance may double or even triple and even after just one DUI conviction, the average California driver will see their premiums increase by an average of $2,500 per year.
- Even worse, your crime will show up on employer-conducted background checks for 10 years or longer.